The Salmon Creek Falls Environmental Center is a visionary project that fosters eco-sustainability and provides environmental education to the community. This innovative enterprise seeks to inspire a revolution in building design and to teach environmental principles.
The Center is committed to inspiring schools and the greater community to become responsible, education, compassionate stewards of the environment.
Salmon Creek Falls Environmental Center demonstrates the following:
- Smart Site Location
- Passive Solar
- Living Roof
- Water efficient fixtures
- Energy efficient design
- Recycling systems
- Rainwater Collection
- Solar Poer Efficient
- Non-Toxic resource building materials
Goals of the center:
- Teach environmental education to students from local schools and the community
- Link place-based learning with real world ecological problems
- Share discoveries about the site's ecosystems and their connection to the watershed with our greater community
- Provide cafeteria space to enable preparation of wholesome school meals made from organic produce grown and harvested by students and local farmers
- Provide assembly space for 100 people and offices and meeting space for local watershed groups
- Be the first California public K-8 school to obtain a LEED Platinum certification.
- 30 acres of redwood forest and trails
- Creeks and observation deck
- Restored perennial wetlands
- 3/4-acre school garden
- Native Plant Nursery